Today marks the momentous 75th anniversary of the United Nations Declaration of Human Rights. As we continue to uphold the principle of justice, equality, and human dignity and celebrate the protection of human rights globally, we cannot ignore the massive act of human rights violations happening in the Gaza Strip.
Members of the Grassroots Justice Network-Southeast Asia (GJN-SEA) stand in solidarity with the Palestinian people in their fight for freedom from large-scale acts of violence and aggression. This Human Rights Day, let us be reminded that all people have equal rights and dignity. The right to life is the fundamental right which governs all existing rights, and the Palestinian people cannot be systematically deprived of these rights.
As a network of grassroots justice defenders, we are reminded that our communities and the communities we work with also face a similar struggle. While some may find it difficult to believe that respect for human rights and human dignity is still ignored in these modern times, these injustices exist, most especially against the marginalized sectors of society.
Bridging the gap on access to justice has always been in the forefront of GJN-SEA’s mission, with community empowerment at the heart of it all. Now more than ever, we need to stand together and create a world where justice is accessible to all and those who defend it are safeguarded in their pursuit of a just society.
We call upon our network members and the international community to express their solidarity with the Palestinian people, and other communities facing systemic and structural injustices, and echo their cries for justice! #HumanRightsDay
You can endorse the statement individually or as an organization using the forms below.
– Environmental Legal Assistance Center (ELAC), Philippines
– Atchara Chan-o-kul, Thailand
– Yayasan Lembaga Bantuan Hukum Indonesia (YLBHI), Indonesia
– Kaisahan Tungo sa Kaunlaran ng Kanayunan at Repormang Pansakahan (KAISAHAN), Philippines
– Indonesia Judicial Research Society (IJRS), Indonesia
– Balay Alternative Legal Advocates for Development in Mindanaw (BALAOD Mindanaw), Philippines
– Jaycen Aligway, Philippines
– Ateneo Human Rights Center (AHRC), Philippines
– Asylum Access Malaysia, Malaysia
– Development of Human Resources for Rural Areas (DHRRA) Malaysia, Malaysia
– Rodziana M Razali, Malaysia
– Tom Weerachat, Thailand
– Sheila Grace Formento, Philippines
– Community Resource Centre (CRC), Thailand